Inner West Council

Access to Information

Access to Council Information

The Government Information (Public Access) Act 2009 (the GIPA Act) replaces the Freedom of Information Act 1989 and section 12 of the Local Government Act 1993 in NSW.

The GIPA Act encourages the proactive release of Council information and aims to promote a more open and transparent government.

Please click here Council's Access to Information Policy.

There are four avenues to access Council information under the GIPA Act:

  • Mandatory disclosure of open access information
  • Proactive release of information
  • Informal release of information
  • Formal access application

Council’s Publication Guide has been prepared to provide further information on accessing Council information. A copy of the guide can be obtained here:

Council Information Guide - October 2013 Council Information Guide - October 2013 (500.21 KB)/p>

Open Access Information

The GIPA Act provides that certain prescribed Council information must be made available on the Council website. This includes:

  • Policy documents
  • Disclosure Log of formal access applications
  • Publication Guide
  • Government Contracts Register
  • Record of open access information that is not made available to the public on the basis of an overriding public interest against disclosure

Information about Council can also be found here

Proactive Release

Consistent with the underlying principles of the GIPA Act, Council may also make a range of information available to the public free of charge on our website.

Some of this information is available on our website free of charge and some information is available in other formats for a small charge.

Informal Release

Under the GIPA Act, Council can release other information in response to an informal request and where information that is not made available on the website.

Council may impose conditions on the release of such information. There is no charge for making an informal request for information.

Refer to Councils Publication Guide for the type of information that is available for informal release

Complete the form linked below to make an Informal Access to Information request. Click here to download a copy of the form.

Formal Release

For access to information that is not made available through the other three avenues, a formal access application will need to be made and is the last resort for obtaining Council information that is not available any other way . The GIPA Act provides that members of the public have a right to access information unless the GIPA Act provides a reason to withhold information.

There is a $30 application fee for a formal access application and a processing charge of $30 per hour

Complete the form linked below to make a Formal Access Application. Click here to download a copy of the form.

Unsure how to get the information you want?

Step 1: As a first step you should search this website (using the search box at the top of this page) to see if it is already available.

Step 2: Check the Publication Guide to see if it is open access information.  The Publication Guide will tell you how to obtain the information.

Step 3: If the information is not routinely available (i.e. not open access information) you need to make an informal information request or a formal access application.

Copying of documents

Legal copyright provisions apply to the copying of all documents at Inner West Council. Due to the Copyright Act 1968, there may be documents which may not be copied, without consent of the copyright owner. Some of these documents could include certain building plans, publications and consultant's reports.

If documents are available to be copied, copying charges may apply.

Applicable fees and charges are outlined in Council's adopted Fees and Charges.

Processing of your application

To ensure that applications are processed as quickly as possible, applications should provide sufficient information on the application form to enable the correct documents to be identified.

Your request will be assessed by Council officers under GIPA 2009 and relevant legislation.

You will be notified within five (5) business days as to whether your application for access to information is to be granted, and, if so, when the information will be available for you to inspect.

Once Council notifies you the information is available, you will be able to inspect it at any time within 7 days of the date of notification. Should you require an extension of time, please contact Council's Customer Service Centre on (02) 9392 5000 or Fax (02) 9392 5911.

Documents can be viewed during office hours, Monday to Friday 8.30am to 5.00pm, at Council's Ashfield Customer Service Centre.

Disclosure Log

The Government Information (Public Access) Act 2009 (GIPA Act) requires Council to keep and publish a record (called its "disclosure log") that records information about access applications made to Council to which it provides access (to some or all of the information applied for) if the information is deemed by the agency to be of interest to other members of the public.

Click here for disclosure log

Other useful links

NSW Information and Privacy Commission website

More information

For further information please contact Council by one of the following methods:



(02) 9392 5000 


(02) 9392 5911


The Public Officer
Inner West Council
PO Box 14 
Petersham NSW 2049