Inner West Council

Preparing Your Development Application

Where should I start?

  • Make sure you need to submit a DA! If your development is exempt or complying you do not need to submit a DA.
  • Be sure to understand what development rules apply
  • Understand what you are required to submit with your DA, and prepare your application and supporting documents. Try to avoid assessment delays!
  • Download the DA application form.

If your development is complex or potentially controversial, you should consider using Council’s Pre-lodgement Application Advisory service.

How long will it take to determine my application?
This varies according to the complexity of the proposed development, whether or not it needs to be publicly advertised/notified, whether or not it complies with the rules, whether or not objections are received and the range and complexity of issues that may need to be considered.

Can I do it myself?
Whilst Council’s staff will endeavour to assist you through the process, preparing a development application can be a complex process which you should not attempt to tackle yourself unless you have a good knowledge of the legal requirements and of our local planning controls. Incomplete applications can delay the assessment process.

Do I need to make a disclosure statement of a political donation or gift?
If you are submitting a development application and you or any person with a financial interest in the development made a donation or gift to any Councillor or you made a gift to any Council employee you may need to make a disclosure statement. You can download a Political donations and gifts disclosure statement form (PDF File, 46.8kb) which includes explanatory information.

Preparing your Development Application
The information varies considerably from site to site due to the type of building or development proposed, but all applications must submit:

  • the Development Application form with the signatures of all owners of the land subject to the application
  • Details of the proposed development including the existing use, operating hours, staff numbers, goods to be produced or stored, existing and proposed car spaces and loading facilities.
  • a Statement of Environmental Effects (SEE) This statement should detail any expected impact of the development on the environment, adjoining premises or the public. It should also include a description of the existing situation and the proposed development.
  • Architectural plans for any building work - Standard Colours for Architectural Plans . Including the submission of a Schedule of Materials and/or Sample Boards with your plans.
  • A site plan showing the location of the development within a building or within the locality. The site plan should also identify the site, streets, adjoining properties and a north point.
  • Plans showing the details of the proposed development in relation to adjoining premises and streets if applicable. If the proposal is for part of a floor of a building only, the floor plan of the whole floor must be provided.
  • Elevations showing the view of the development from all visible sides in relation to adjoining premises (not required where there is no new work proposed).
  • Sections through appropriate areas of the site (not required where there is no new work proposed).
  • New work must be coloured, with a clear distinction being made between alterations and additions.
  • a BASIX Certificate from the NSW Government
  • A4 size Neighbour Notification plans (drawing) are required in most cases and should be submitted as routine by any applicant

In addition, your application may be supported by any number of expert reports, these can include:

  • Fire Safety Audit - Smoke Alarms are required by law in every dwelling. We often ask for buildings to be upgraded to comply with current fire safety standards and the Building Code of Australia as part of change of use applications or where alterations or additions are proposed. 
  • Shadow Diagrams addressing solar access
  • Sight Line Analysis Plans addressing privacy and view sharing
  • Heritage Impact Statement describes how the proposal will minimise negative impacts to heritage items - see the Guide for preparing a Statement of Heritage Impact
  • Heritage Conservation Management Plan
  • Stormwater Management Plan
  • Flood Study/Flood Analysis Report
  • Geotechnical and Hydrogeologic Report
  • Arborist Report - which covers Arboricultural Assessment Reports, Tree Management Reports, Transplant Method Statements and Root Mapping Reports.
  • Landscape Plan
  • Contaminated Land Reports
  • Acid Sulphate Soils Reports 
  • Residential Flat Building Design Verification - more information
  • Acoustic Report
  • Erosion and Sediment Control Plan
  • Survey Plan
  • Demolition Management Plan - see the Guide for preparing Demolition Reports for properties not listed as heritage items and properties not within a heritage conservation area
  • Construction Management Plan - see the requirements for a construction management plan

To find out more about when expert reports may be required see our Development Application Guide.