Inner West Council

Privacy and Personal Information

The Privacy and Personal Information Protection Act now applies to Local Government. The Act provides requirements in regard to the protection of personal information.

Council does hold certain personal information, for example, if you own property in the Municipality your name and address would be held in our Rates Register or if you have submitted a development application to us, your name and address would be held on our Register of Development Applications.

In certain situations, Council may disclose personal information that it holds. This is usually in relation to the reasons for which the information was collected or for other statutory or lawful functions of other Government agencies. Council has a Privacy Management Plan which can be accessed here.

In addition, certain information held by Council may be regarded as public registers that are open to inspection pursuant to a variety of legislation.

You may make an application for access or amendment to information held by Council. You may also make a request that Council suppresses your personal information from a public register. Any such application should be made in writing to the General Manager and must outline the reasons for the request. The Council may require supporting documentation where appropriate. Council will consider any such application in accordance with the Act.

For further information on Privacy and Personal Information please telephone Council's Public Officer on (02) 9392 5000.

Useful Links

Privacy and Personal Information Protection Act

Office of the Privacy Commissioner NSW